Thursday, May 15, 2014

Song of Solanum Tuberosum: A tribute to my graduation from Highschool

It's that time of year, finally, again. And possibly for the last time. Certainly for the last time in my home. I've just graduated from highschool. It's been an interesting twelve-ish years. I can almost definitively say that I got a better education being homeschooled than I would have in the regular public schools. At the same time, I wonder if some of my time could have been more productively spent.
Does it matter in the end? Maybe. Maybe not. I know that I certainly have had opportunities I would never have had otherwise been introduced to some really great literature, been able to learn to say the alphabet backwards, clap with one hand, utilize the free capacity of the internet, meet some really awesome people, and probably grow in my faith and in other ways that I never could have in a private or public school.

I don't know really how I would have turned out otherwise, and I don't think it really matters much. I've become who I've become. It'll do.
It's at times like this I guess I should say thanks for all the people who helped me along the way, but I have an aversion. Let me get out there and establish something, create a foundation I can link back to this day better than a piece of paper.
Maybe it's ego stroking, pride. I don't want it to be.
So I'll say thanks anyway. Even if I don't know if I've merited anything, it's worth giving a hand for the effort that has been invested in me, and I'm honored to be entrusted with it.

So in honor of those, I present a poem I wrote a little bit earlier. I think that it can accurately sum up most of my writing career up to this point. Other than that, don't go in with too much expectation, but I hope you perhaps find it edifying, enlightening, or interesting.

Song of Solanum Tuberosum. (A Haiku)

Deep Fry Potato.
Potato, Potato, Crunch.
Munch on Potato.

2 comments:

  1. "To know what would have happened, child?" said Aslan. "No. Nobody is ever told that."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't think of a clever response. My mind is potato right now.

      Delete