Thursday, March 13, 2014

So I'm a bad person.

I have, in the past month or so, gone through the worst period of writing block that I've had in a long time. It's awful. I think part of the problem was that I actually wanted to finish one writing project (Of Livestock and Mercenaries) before hopping into a new one. I just can't seem to write under that kind of rule, which stinks, because if I only write what I feel like, you readers will get a bunch of half finished stories and no closure. On a side note, my pleasure reading has also not been at it's all time high, and reading is part of what makes me want to write. It's a lot easier to get in a writing mood after having read an exciting adventure story than it is after having read Federalists and AntiFederalists. (Which I will one day burn in effigy. Seriously, it may have governmental value, but just the way they write is so... yea.)

Because of this, I've decided to force myself to finish up Of Livestock and Mercenaries. I've read a few psychological type articles that say you can get galvanized into finishing something by creating a risk or a theoretical punishment. (E.G. Nicholas finishes the latest draft of Nicholas Thornton’s Treatise on every conceivable way to set a table when one is serving fish, because his uncle threatens to throw him out of the house at the end of the month if he doesn't see a book deal or an unrelated job.)

I'm not sure if that's a good idea. So we will scientifically try it out. Yay! Science! I will have the final draft for Of Livestock and Mercenaries live on this site at the end of the month or else, um... not sure... what do I really not like? Oh, I know. I'll post all two chapters of Serving Fish, a terrible story I wrote a long time ago. And I won't explain it, so that everyone who reads that story when they first unwittingly fall into this site will receive a bad impression of me and never return.

Sound fair?

1 comment: